Leighton Leib co-founded Knox◆Leib, PLLC to offer clients innovative, dynamic legal representation in times of good fortune and bad - when opportunity knocks as well as when difficult circumstances dictate the need for a strong voice by your side.
Mr. Leib's practice encompasses a broad spectrum of case and client types, including business and securities litigation matters, often on behalf of defrauded individuals and entities, as well as white collar criminal defense and civil and criminal appeals.
When the stakes are high, Mr. Leib offers creative, aggressive advocacy, and has secured excellent results across multiple jurisdictions and during just about all phases of litigation, ranging from pre-suit/pre-indictment investigations to post-judgment review, including:
• playing a leading role in securing early dismissal of an eight-figure cause of action brought by a federal agency against a corporate client;
• directing an institutional investor’s Exchange Act claims through to discovery and, eventually, a substantial settlement with the former CEO and CFOs of a global financial services firm that shuttered in 2008;
• extracting admissions from key fact witnesses and corporate designees, and securing crucial sworn statements from contract negotiators on both sides of the deal, in overlapping cases arising out of the high-profile failure of a large financial institution in 2008, including a nine-figure breach of contract case and a nationwide federal RESPA class action;
• spearheading an effort on behalf of a Fortune 500 client to neutralize shareholder derivative litigation arising out of a $600 million settlement with the USDOJ for a Fortune 500 client, in a matter which just a few months earlier roared to life in multiple jurisdictions in the wake of a Ninth Circuit decision;
• developing a detailed strategy for bringing state and federal criminal and civil actions against mis- and over-prescribing physicians on behalf of a quasi-governmental client;
• counseling a CEO client who was a target of an ongoing federal investigation on how to strategically deploy evidence of retaliatory intent on the part of the investigating agency;
• developing an alter ego theory tying entity’s former president/founder of newly-created competitor to contractual no-hire clauses, enhancing corporate client’s ultimate recovery;
• preparing legal and investigative counters to mortgage fraud indictment brought against clients embroiled in high-profile inheritance and fee disputes;
• authoring innovative multimedia and written materials in support of successful downward departure presentation in federal sentencing matter;
• securing early termination of federal probation for burgeoning entrepreneur;
• interfacing with federal and state prosecutors, and aggressively pursuing federal and state claims on behalf of business leaders who were victims of or witnesses to multiple species of fraud; and
• collaborating with retired California Supreme Court Justice on opinion letter submitted to French tribunal addressing damages issues in default judgment matter.
Education: Mr. Leib earned his J.D., magna cum laude, from Northwestern University School of Law, where he was Executive Editor of the Northwestern University Law Review; elected to the Order of the Coif; and awarded the Robert A. Sprecher Scholarship. Mr. Leib received his B.A., magna cum laude, in English from Amherst College, and earned a Master of Arts in Mass Communications, Documentary Filmmaking, with distinction, from the Documentary Institute at the University of Florida. He has produced and directed films that screened at venues including the Palm Beach International Film Festival.
Selected Publications: “Deloitte: Between SOX and a Hard Place,” The Daily Journal (June 4, 2012) (with John C. Hueston).